Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Littlest Boswell

Katie reminded me recently that I've never posted about what we're planning to name our baby. I posted that she's a girl, but I never followed up with our thoughts on naming her.

We had our boy's name picked out for quite a while before we knew about Baby Boswell. We didn't even debate about it. We both loved it from the get-go. In fact, I asked Brad's mom to please not let her sister name her new pet bird Jack because that was the boy's name that we loved and were stuck on.

We did not, however, have a girl's name settled on. We'd gone back and forth with some names that we kind of liked. As usual, names I really liked were on Brad's "Ehh.." list and vice versa. Actually, I kind of think that maybe Brad wasn't really offering too much assistance in the girl's name department. I think he was more into responding to my suggestions.

Anyway, when we learned that she was a girl, we had to  get down to business on figuring out what we liked. It ended up not being too long of a conversation. We narrowed down the names we liked to essentially two names and then became rather introspective. After a little bit of thought, Brad offered this: "I like both names, but I think this baby's name is Claire."

Alright then. It's settled.

We'd decided a while back that her middle name would be Elizabeth. Elizabeth is a family name on both sides, and we just really like it on top of that. So, her name is Claire Elizabeth. Boswell, obviously. 

I supposed there's an off-chance that we will meet her and decide it's not the name for her, but I doubt it. We call her that now when we talk about her (or to her...we do that sometimes). Sometimes we call her Claire Bear.

It's not one of those names that I grew up just knowing I would name a daughter, but I love it now. I had wanted to name her Emma or Harper or Lily, but quite a few of my friends have had Emmas and Harpers recently. And, Amiee claimed Lily a while back for any potential future daughter (we divvied up names several years ago...what? You didn't do that??)

There you have it. She has a name. If you hate it, please don't let me know; I'm all emotional these days and probably wouldn't take it well. However, if you love it, tell me all about it!

2 comments:

Karen Tidwell said...

I want to go on record as saying, "I love the name Claire Elizabeth." (Just thinking about the name, Jack--I'm thinking if that was taken, there would not be much competition for the name Clive.)
Love to you all, Karen Tidwell

Kat said...

I agree, Claire Elizabeth is a beautiful name. I also love the story of Brad walking around practicing the name Claire, to see if it fit. :)

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...