Wednesday, July 20, 2022

Brad's Hooding Ceremony

Brad officially graduated from his doctoral program in May 2021, but his hooding ceremony wasn't until September, due to Durham's and Duke's pandemic policies. I'm SO VERY thankful that we were able to have an actual hooding. I grieved over his not having one (back in May, we didn't know if he ever would end up getting the chance), and this was such a happy surprise.

Got dressed in our Duke blue! (well, our white with our Duke blue accents...we have a lot of Duke blue accents in this house)

Grandpa was able to join!





Y'all. I LOVE the Duke chapel. And it was such a beautiful location for a hooding ceremony.

I MEAN.

Also...this organ situation!

Waiting! We were armed with books, paper, colored pencils, Wiki Stix...Left nothing to chance. And yes, Brynn is wearing a shiny pink heart necklace. The fight was not worth it.

The one and only graduate in religion (this round)

Was I kneeling in the middle of the aisle, baby strapping to me in the Ergo carrier to take these pictures? You bet I was.



Ok. The Pandemic Fist Bump takes away from the moment just a smidge, but what can you do?

After Brad was hooded, I took Children Numbers 2, 3, and 4 to the foyer, so as to keep the noise and fidgeting down. They thought the light from the stained glass was just magical.


See??

A happy accident that I grabbed this shot as they processed out of the chapel.

We had the most gorgeous weather for pictures outside afterward. AND, we were able to grab a couple with Brad's advisor, too.






Then, I required Brad to pose in various places for solo pictures. He humored me, because I've invested many years in Duke and in the degree, as well. And because he's a good guy.


The entrance to the Div school

And an obligatory one in front of the chapel. It was HARD to get one without one billion people in the background.

It was a truly wonderful day in the life of our family. We've spent the better part of a decade in pursuit of that hood, and I'm so grateful for such a perfect day to celebrate it.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...