Tuesday, January 17, 2012

First Pinterest-inspired project

I mentioned several of my pre-Christmas Pinterest projects a few weeks ago, but I didn't mention my biggest project. One of the first projects I laid eyes on when I first got onto Pinterest was a t-shirt quilt. I have mentioned for years that I really should do that, but I lacked enough motivation or skill. The more I looked around at t-shirt quilt patterns on Pinterest, though, the more I started thinking, "I really should do that." Amiee and I had already gathered a bunch of our shirts from years gone by, which the intention of sending them off to a professional to have a quilt made for Mom, so I thought, "I can do that...right?"

I started looking at several different patterns, searching- in essence- for the one that was the least complicated and required the fewest number of materials. I found several that almost sort of met my "requirements," but in the end, I created my own template/pattern.

I started with fleece that I snagged for 50% off. Woo hoo! Throughout the process, though, I discovered that fleece probably wasn't the best decision. Fact: fleece is HEAVY and HOT. Lesson learned.

After that lesson was learned, I started cutting/pinning/piecing the t-shirts and discovered that we had too many t-shirts for just a one-sided quilt.

Idea: TWO-sided quilt.

Great idea, right? Well, sort of. It turned out ok, but it made for a complicated sewing process. Imagine me alligator-wrestling a huge blanket in and around a regular-sized sewing machine. There were many moans and frustrated sighs. The occasional yell of frustration. The good news is that I actually finished it for Mom in time for Christmas. Photographic evidence below:

Ta da! It simultaneously makes me want to start another one AND put another one off...we'll see how it goes.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...