Thursday, August 13, 2020

Homemade VBS

After the beach trip, we had just a couple weeks before we were set to start school (homeschool), so I- super last minute- put together what I called "homemade VBS." Last minute...as in, Sunday night before starting Monday morning. But doesn't that just fit the theme of 2020?

I set up our lessons and activities based largely around episodes of Superbook that I knew we had and could use as part of it. I landed on doing stories from the life of Joshua. It turned out to be such a fun week- better than I had expected!

Day 1 was Joshua, Caleb, and the spies visiting the Promised Land:

Finger painting grapes from the Promised Land


Our spies

Making our spy gear





Day 2 was Rahab and building our wall + Rahab's window:


Day 3 was building a box wall for some actual marching and shouting (this was the favorite, by far):





Aren't their faces great??

We then sat in said boxes and watched Veggietales' Josh and the Big Wall.

Trumpkin even got her own box.

Day 4 was discussing "as for me and my house..."

Very focused





We spent approximately an hour/hour-and-a-half on homemade VBS each day, so it wasn't a lot of time but it was educational, used supplies we already had, and everyone had a good time. Hopefully, we won't have to do homemade VBS next year, but if so, I think everyone will be plenty happy to do it again.

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...