Thursday, July 16, 2020

January 2020: a recap

I know that in January, we had no idea how much crazier 2020 would become for everyone, but January turned out to be pretty crazy for our family. We got back from Orlando, and the next day Lily and I were both super sick with the flu. Brynna started symptoms the next day. Lily recovered pretty well within just a few days, Brynn took a few days longer, and I could not feel normal again for about 10 days. It meant that unpacking/putting away Christmas decor/reclaiming our house after a semester away were at a standstill for a while.


A few pictures I snapped of what Brynn and I looked like for days. She could pretty much only sleep ON me, which made my hacking couch and overly-taxed lungs that much worse.

Originally, we had planned for Bill and Barbara to come over for a few days after we returned from Orlando to celebrate belated Christmas together. Obviously, we postponed that for a few weeks to make sure that we wouldn't give them the flu. By the time they came in late January, I was starting to suspect that I might be super unexpectedly expecting. While they were here, Brad and I ran an errand to pick something up from Target, and I took a pregnancy test while we were out...and could NOT wrap my mind around it all. The rest of the weekend felt so surreal while Brad and I tried to process having another baby, knowing that Brad was also applying for jobs and fellowships all over the country that would, potentially, have us moving when I would be in my third trimester. It was really overwhelming. And I still hadn't even completely reclaimed the mess that was our house. 

January was a bit difficult in other ways, too. We started back to school- this time we were able to participate with our local homeschool community group, which I was really excited about. I just knew the girls would be thrilled! Except...in a very unexpected (and unprecedented) turn of events, both Claire and Lily struggled with some transition-from-DC anxiety. They were both so nervous about starting dance (which they usually love), and they were so very stressed about starting up with our Friday homeschool co-op (even though we already knew so many of the participating families). I was completely unprepared for my fun-loving, extroverted children to be so hesitant and nervous. It took many conversations to realize that they were feeling a little unmoored and that they would be left out and behind. That whole process took an emotional toll on all of us, and I really look back on January with a lot of emotional fatigue and sadness over how anxious and stressed the girls were.

I was looking through our family pictures from January, and realized that I have so many more of Brynna than anything else. I think it's because, on the whole, she was just happier and content to scoot around and rediscover her toys. I spent much more time with the other two, I think, having conversations and trying to work out anxiety and frustrations, but I didn't take pictures of those moments. 

So, please enjoy pictures of Brynna from the month of January (and, there are a few pictures of the other two on their posts with monthly quotes- I didn't ignore taking their pictures entirely):





She did a lot of this.





Brynn-ion the Minion



She also wore many styles of glasses.





We started weaning her off of her paci...so she found substitutes.



Some happy family moments

January was a big month for us. Frankly, I'm rather glad we made it through in tact...

No comments:

Boswell beach trip 2022: part 1

Just another friendly reminder that I'm still playing catch-up. Clearly, it is not currently July... We made another annual trip to Tops...